Off to the Crane and Sheep Festival This Weekend

Thursday, May 6, 2010 8:02 AM By Kennie

So far, since I've arrived here in the Yukon, I have seen very little wild life. Sure, I've seen the odd bear (one, who appeared to be humping a tree), a couple of porcupines, a few elk (last week), some very stupid birds (who consequently either wound up in the front grills of vehicles or smucked on the way by), squirrels (who seem to be on a suicide mission), and of course, the big gopher that has taken root in the front yard of a colleague.

This weekend, I hope to add mountain sheep and cranes to the list, as it is the Sheep and Crane or Crane and Sheep (one or the other) festival over in Faro. And since I am always welcome to the basement suite chez Kara and Matt's I figured this would be a great weekend to head out and enjoy some wilderness.

Now, I know this might seem crazy to some - sheep and cranes, big whoop. Well it is a big whoop when you live out in the middle of nowhere and you never see any wildlife! Mind you, I don't want a bear on my front steps or anything, but, still, a little bit of the great wild nature is a good thing.

So, with any luck, I will have some good pictures to post here after the weekend ... weather permitting.

2 comments:

Meandering Michael said...

The last time I went to RR, I saw a wolverine and a fox. In fact, every time I've gone to RR I've seen wildlife. Maybe they're just playing tricks on you.

May 6, 2010 at 7:56 PM
Kennie said...

I'm thinking maybe they are just smart and are staying off of the road.

May 6, 2010 at 11:41 PM