Hello ... again... I'm back.

Friday, September 25, 2009 7:22 AM By Kennie




Yes. I. Am. A. Bad. Blogger.

But it's not my fault! Really! It's the zombies that chase me around at night and steal all of my free time and sleeping hours :-) Blame the zombies! (in particular the lesson planning zombie too) There just isn't enough hours in the day (but I am working on fixing this)!

So, I guess, now, while I wait for my coffee to finish dripping is the time for an update.

Let's see ... well, i've been here in the Yukon now for just over a month. Yes, one month down - hard to believe eh? Seems a little strange - yet it feels like much longer at the same time. My class is pretty good, although, they do test me at times - but I"m not letting them win the battle of the wits. It's either follow my classroom rules (which are pretty basic here) and follow the school rules or see-ya later! For the most part, the class gets it, but there are a couple that are still playing the "let's see how far we can push her over the edge game". All in a days work eh?

Hmm... what else.... oh, my truck. The truck is doing just fine. I'll be taking it into Whitehorse soon to get winterized (as in the first oil change and check over and to get my winter tires put on) only wish I could do it all in the same trip - but that's also life in the North. As when the only places that do maintenance on vehicles are located in Whitehorse (ok - yes I know there are other places in communities where I can get basic work done ... but all of my oil changes and maintenance (minus tire changes) have to go through my dealership if I want to keep my warranty - pain in the butt if you ask me, but that's the price you gotta pay if you want your vehicle to stay in tip-top shape (which you do way out here).

hmmm.... let's see... ahh - the satellite. Yes, I am still without my satellite. I only noticed yesterday as I was getting ready to mount it on the post (I'm trying the 8-foot post method first before I beg someone to watch me fall off my roof) that there weren't any mounting screws in the box that Bell gave me. I have all of the hardware needed to put the dishes together ... just nothing to stick them to the house / pole. Sigh. Good thing I'm heading in to Whitehorse this weekend - another thing to be added to my growing list of needs.

Whitehorse .. oh Whitehorse ... it was rather tricky to get a room in Whitehorse this time around as apparently there is this huge learning disabilities conference going on - so practically every hotel is booked (at least those that I've stayed at so far), so I'm staying at a different hotel this time ... gotta give them all at least one chance to impress me. Fortunately for me, I have my next two stays already pre-booked so they can't get rid of me.

So.... readers ... I will make a better effort to keep you all in the loop ... as soon as I get my act in gear :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might want to check on your warrenty or call the dealer to make sure that you HAVE to take the truck in to them for the regular maintenance. I'm pretty sure that as long as you take the truck to a licensed mechanic, and you keep the paperwork with you so that you can show the dealer you are doing the work then it shouldn't void your warrenty....
It's been a while since I've worked at the shop, but when I was there we had quite a few customers come in with their new cars for us to the LOF's and checks. Just call the dealer... or any other dealer of your make and ask just to make sure. It could save you the drive.

Melissa

September 25, 2009 at 1:24 PM
Anonymous said...

I hear you on the classroom front. Moving from 6 years of high school to grade 5/6 has been a big jump. Apparently my group went through 4 teachers last year so there are challenges but also some progess. I have a handful of really nice students....as well as a few terrorists. Fortunately, after 3:15pm they are the parents' problem.....hehe.

September 25, 2009 at 3:12 PM
Kennie said...

No fair Darcy, you get to get rid of yours at 3:15!! I have to wait till 3:20!

Melissa - well, either way I will need to take it into Whitehorse ... as I don't think we have a licensed mechanic here, although there "might" be one in Faro or Carmacks. I'll be asking that question to my dealer when I take it in .. figure might as well let them do the first one, then I can question them about everything and set the record straight. There's nothing in the paper work that states that I must take it to the dealership .. but who knows. Better safe than sorry.

September 26, 2009 at 7:21 PM
Bonnieupnorth said...

See kennie this is what happens when we don't check in for a while....you moved over a whole half continent...long way from the first encounter in the hotel in Arctic bay! Almost thought I would get back there this work stint but alas housing shortages ie no house for social worker even a casual one! Enjoy your new adventures!

December 18, 2009 at 6:38 PM