I'm official

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 11:38 AM By Kennie

This morning I ventured down to the Motor Vehicle Office / Liquor Store (as they are both in the same building - and as a side note, in the Yukon, especially in the smaller communities, the DMV and Liquor store are in the same building as both are government run - so not only can I get my license there, I can also stock up on brewski at the same time).

To say the least, I will definitely miss my Nunavut license. That thing was quite classy, even if it was only a laminated piece of cardboard. But at least it looked legit and had security features (plus, when explaining it to the RCMP/Police/Liquor Store, they actually did believe that it was legit).



Now, my Yukon drivers license? I could make it on my computer [and because of this, I am not posting up a photo of it - seriously, it could be QED]. I am not entirely sure how it will be perceived as my primary ID when I get on a plane (I did get some strange looks with my Nunavut one), or how it will be perceived by our southern RCMP/Cops/Highway Patrol/State Troupers. I guess, I will just have to see how that goes when I wind up having to present it to them. Good thing I also always travel with my Passport ... hopefully that will keep me out of too much trouble :-)

6 comments:

down east said...

Now, why would you have to present your DL to the RCMP/City police? What are you planning to do?

August 25, 2009 at 1:31 PM
Kennie said...

Spot Check's mommy - spot checks!

August 25, 2009 at 1:45 PM
Morena said...

Having the liquor store in the same building is a gread idea. Stop at the liquor store first and then you can have an easier time with those long DMV waits.

August 25, 2009 at 6:42 PM
Wandering Spirit Kennels said...

I had to argue with the Thrifty Car Rental guy last time I was in Calgary. He didnt believe that my Yukon DL was real! He caved eventually, but it was a hassle.

Definately use your passport for any travel related ID!

August 25, 2009 at 7:30 PM
Alex said...

Enjoy it while you can!
I'm still disapointed that NWT recently updated theirs with additional security features and now they actually look legit.

Anything to make conversation with the bouncers or liquor store staff when I'm down south I say!

August 26, 2009 at 10:16 AM
Kennie said...

haha - true Alex .. I would have just thought that the ID's up here would have been slightly more .. well... "updated" - ya know?

August 26, 2009 at 2:26 PM